With over 300 posting, I think I‘m getting closer to figuring out what this blog is about. Here’s a summary of the logic chain (or as my friends at Bridgespan would say, my theory of change):
- Excellence and equity in education is the most important issue for the America economy and society; even more so for developing economies.
- Expanding access to high quality learning experiences requires innovation particularly new learning tools and formats.
- Learning online holds great promise for improved productivity and expanded access; new school formats that blend online learning and onsite support and application have the potential to address the global secondary gap (i.e., limited access to college/careers for low income students).
- Producing and scaling innovation requires focused investment suggesting an important and complementary role for the private sector; most important advances will be the result of public-private partnerships.
- Expanding opportunities for education entrepreneurs and the ability to approach old problems in new ways requires more sophisticated advocacy, particularly the use of new media.
- Occasionally, other sources of media provide analogy, insight or inspiration (i.e., random musings).