Pitch Policy: How to Pitch Getting Smart
At Getting Smart®, we focus on innovations in learning. We receive countless news releases, guest blogs, and other items to cover on Getting Smart daily. We want to help you get news, guest blogs, features, etc. out in a timely fashion. Here are a few tips to make the process go smoother.
- Email first (and follow up with a phone call if you haven’t heard from us in 24 hours only if it’s a pressing news item). Send all pitches for Getting Smart to Caroline at Caroline@gettingsmart.com.
- Be considerate of our policies.
- Wait at least 24 hours for a response from our team before following up.
Pitch news releases within the text of the email and include a link to the source (on your website, client website, blog, etc.) as well as social media channels relating to the company or client. If you have a story, interview, product demo, etc. that you’d like to pitch, send an email and set up a time to talk on the phone if necessary. Send guest blog posts as Word attachments that follow our Guest Posting Policy and are mindful of current events.
Relevant content for all pitches includes, but is not exclusive to, the following:
- Education technology
- Education startups
- Learning tools
- Open educational resources (OER)
- Flipped classroom models
- 1:1 laptop, iPad, or smartphone models
- Common Core State Standards
- Race to the Top
- Charter schools
- Blended learning
- Online learning
- Apps for learning; and
- Games for learning.
How To Get Ahead
- Send us an embargoed release so that we can better plan and prepare a feature for your announcement.
- Give us exclusive news rights to break the announcement first.
- Connect us to quality interviewees (i.e., teachers, students, administrators, owners, developers, etc.) who can talk about your story, product, or announcement.
- Give us exclusive interviews with key stakeholders.
What NOT To Do
- Send pitches that do not directly relate to education, which includes creating obscure connections of products to education and learning
- Send a calendar invite for an event along with press release
- Call to pitch a story before emailing information and waiting 24 hours
- Fail to include a URL to the company, announcement, etc.
- Pitch multiple members of our team at once; and
- Pitch stale news.
We look forward to working with you. Thank you!